Family Christmas Pudding

Fail-proof Family Christmas Pudding Recipe.

Make breadcrumbs. It's okay to cover your ears if the noise is too much but don't stop making breadcrumbs. (The Most Adorable Granddaughter#3 makes the most of every one's inattention to help herself to a shortbread biscuit.)




Measure dried fruit and nuts and add breadcrumbs to fruit.




Cream together butter and brown sugar. It isn't necessary to do a taste test but if you must ...




Crack eggs and add to butter mixture one at a time. It's okay if everyone has a turn even though The Most Adorable Granddaughter#2 isn't too sure if Adorable Granddaughters#3 & #4 should be let loose with eggs!







Another taste test ... in spite of The Most Adorable Granddaughter#1's verbally expressed disgust that the mixture contains raw eggs!


Measure flour and spices and add butter mixture to flour mixture. Mix well. We seem to be missing a few family members. (Excuse me but only The Most Adorable Granddaughter#4 and her Daddy had a valid excuse.)



Start preparing lunch. (Actually I think only one had anything to do with helping to prepare lunch but who cares?)



Every family member must stir the mixture. Um, where's the family gone?



Make two puddings and tie with string. We seem to be short on helpers here. Again.



Help clean up. (Sorry, so few photos of this happening: perhaps another family member can shed some light on this?)



Fresh scones hot from the oven for all!

Comments

Sharlene said…
This looked like fun. Do we get to see a picture of the finished product?
SchnauzerMom said…
Great photos! I think it's interesting that you and your husband had all sons and now your sons seem to be having girls. You have the best of both worlds.
Ohtawen said…
This post is so beautiful. I love seeing happy, close-knit families :) How you all got together and made the pudding and had fun made me grin like crazy!

On a side note - the ingredients of the pudding reminded me of the Italian panettone, but I'm not sure about it. If there are similarities between the two, then I kinda know how the pudding is supposed to taste like.
Jules said…
Sharlene, I'll have to see what I can do. Perhaps when we cut it on Christmas day?

SchnauzerMom, it is interesting. We're enjoying it!

Ohtawen, how do I describe Christmas pudding? It's similar to a fruit cake but moister and chock filled with fruit. We boil the puddings for 8 hours and then hang them to dry. On the day we boil for another hour and then serve with cream or custard. I suspect they owe a lot to our British heritage - at least as far as Christmas celebrations go.
Ohtawen said…
Thank you for enlightening me, Jules :) Your version of the Christmas pudding sounds delightful!
Now I realize that it's not quite as similar to panettone (which is sometimes passed around as Christmas cake) as I thought. Panettone has dried and/or candied fruit, but it's baked in the oven and it often looks like a giant muffin.